Understanding the Art of Link Baiting
Link baiting is a powerful marketing technique and basically link baiting is viral in nature. Link baiting method is done by creating link baits. Link bait by definition is any content or feature within a website or blog that somehow baits or lure viewers to place links to it from other websites. The content is usually sensational in nature or, at the very least, interesting enough to catch other’s attention. Matt Cutts of Google defines link bait as anything “interesting enough to catch people’s attention.”
Link baiting is a simple and indirect method in obtaining precious backlinks to your website. The logic behind link baiting is actually pretty simple and very obvious. As the name implies, link baiting is simply persuading others to place a direct link to your web page. Link baiting is good way to strength of your pages. The more quality inbound links your webpage has, the stronger it will become. Secondly, link baits can also help in your site to have higher search engine ranking and eventually can deliver more traffic to your site.
There are many types of link baits, although there is no clear distinction many divide link baits into categories which we hooks. The most popular hooks are the following:
- Informational hooks – The informational hooks, as the name implies, it provides information that a reader may find very useful. It may include tips, guides and some trick and tweaks on something that may interest readers. Using the informational and educational hook is probably one of the best ways to attract targeted, quality links. The disadvantage of this hook is it takes a lot of effort and time to create a good piece of information. But the amount o link you get from this is usually worth all the efforts.
- News hooks – Provide fresh information and obtain citations and links as the news spreads. News hooks that focus on celebrities and entertainment is good source of quality links.
- Humor hooks – Everyone love a good humor and if your joke is funny enough to tickle the senses of your reader they would want spread it to their friends. Humorous, cool, and funny things on the web are one of the biggest obsessions among the young fun loving internet savvy populace. You may tell a funny story or a joke or publish a bizarre picture of your subject or mocking cartoons of popular personality can also prove to be good link bait.
- Controversial Hooks – Other refers this as evil hooks or attacks hooks. This may include writing something controversial topics or include unpopular view on certain issues. This hooks could also includes rants, attacks and outings. Make sure you either have a very strong brand or a disposable one if you’re really planning on using this strategy. You might get away with a rant, but publicly attacking someone can really backfire.
- Tool Hooks – Putting a useful tool on the web is a good tactic of link baiting. You can create some sort of tool that is useful enough that people link to it.
- Widget Hooks – Widget hook is becoming popular. It is a badge or tool that can be placed or embedded on other websites, with a link included. It has been proven to be a successful strategy. However, it takes a lot of technical knowledge and time in developing widgets that can interest visitors.